My dad is a pulmonologist (lung doctor) and this year I decided to make him something lung-themed for his holiday gift. I thought about knitting him a giant lung (there is actually a ravelry pattern for it!), but ultimately decided to make him a tie with lung embroidery, because he often wears ties. However, sewing and embroidery are by far my weakest crafty skill-sets, so this project was a big challenge for me.
I found the pattern for the tie (Osman Tie) at BurdaStyle and purchased it for a very reasonable $2.00. Then I sent out to my local fabric store and bought several yards of medium gray silk (plenty of extra) and some navy suiting wool to use as the tie liner. [Note this is the true color of the fabrics.]:
The pattern was very well written and easy to follow – I had no problems whatsoever. But I decided to use a double layer of the suiting wool for the liner because one layer didn’t seem substantial enough. Here’s an incredibly blurry photo of the liner laid inside the pieced-together silk (notice how jagged my cuts are – yikes!):
And here’s a shot from later in the day when I had wrangled all the folds into place and pinned it…took me forever! Please excuse the poor lighting:
After pinning I did a loose basting stitch along the tie seam to keep it together, which apparently is done on all ties – I had no idea.
As for the embroidery, I love Jenny Hart’s Sublime Stitching patterns and noticed a while back that the “Vital Organs” pattern pack includes a lung, among other awesome anatomical parts. My dad really likes the color purple (yep, I said purple), so I purchased two shades of it in silk embroidery thread and set to work. Now, dear readers, I’m under no illusion that my work below is actually good, but it’s passable – and I’m totally okay with that. Once again, please excuse the poor lighting – it was horribly foggy this morning…and clearly, I need to iron the creases out:
I just got these labels made and am really excited to use one for the first time!
I didn’t have any tissue paper on hand, so I’ve wrapped the tie in paper towels for now – not so pretty, but it works:
Phwew! That was fun, but stressful. I should have practiced embroidering something simple like pillowcases first. Or better yet, stick to knitting!